Skip to main content

What I still want


Phew! Made it. For the last post of 2014 I wanted to share something that moves me. Something so simple but hard to find in the right amount these days. But first take a look at the TEDx video above. What I'm trying to explain has to do a lot with what Ms Mel Robin says.

...

Done? Perfect, let's start this.

And this time I'm going straight to the point:
Decide what you want, and do it NOW.

Lately I've been talking with friends about what happened this year and I realised that people don't have many ambitions. They don't have a clear goal that they want to pursue. They don't want to explore, reach their goals and discover new ones they want to achieve.

For example, when I was studying architecture, I got to talk to one of the best professors in the faculty. And he told me that most of the people studying at that moment did not have any idea what they wanted out of life. Nor how to achieve it. They just "get something" to work on , eventually, that let's them stay in their comfort zones.

This lack of ambition is another topic I talked about with several friends and, I have to say, I felt bad for saying that I wanted to go somewhere else and learn from great people.

But this is the way I felt. I just wanted to learn from the best around the world to, eventually, become one. The videogame medium is a unique one and I really want to learn more about it, to get better at it in all the ways I can possibly can.

And after going to Gamelab Barcelona and multiple other conventions I realised this is what all the people making amazing games had in common: they thrived to go beyond what they previously did.  they wanted to explore for the sake of it. They never wanted to be less than the best while doing what they loved.

Curiosity, passion, ambition and focus are the big characteristics a game developer should have. At least from my point of view. And obviously with moderation.

Hell, I'm still the newbie that's sharing his first steps in this, hopefully, long journey. Maybe time will prove me wrong. But for now, I still think those are a must have in game development and the reason why indie games are the ones putting innovative mechanics in the market right now.

Super Time Force Ultra, which I've been playing recently, from Capy Games is a great example of how with this 4 ideas and the will to work you're able to give some fresh air to what old games like Contra brought to the market.

See ya in 2015 :)

J.