Skip to main content

Motivation

While working on any kind of creative project, there's one thing that affects the outcome in significant ways. Motivation.

Feeling passion for what you're doing is key to deliver a good product. That's why working on something without being thrilled about it is the perfect indicator that there's something wrong with you, the project or both.

I've felt this many times, both in architecture and in videogame development. And getting rid of it is a big challenge. I tried working on it without caring. And the results were not good.

I also tried to force myself into being motivated. Same results.

The thing is, you can't help yourself with this one. You need help from others. Someone has to convince you about the project, the team or your own ability and work in the project.

And the other need to do this real quick. Because if there's just one member of the team feeling down, this can spread like wildfire among the rest of the developers. Doubt grows exponentially. More so after the design phase and before the true production one.

What you can do though, is work on how you cope with the lack of motivation. Almost everytime I've felt this way was because I was too focused on getting the job done. And everytime I just stopped what I was doing and started doing other things.

Go for a walk, train, draw , write, go for a drink with your friends or read a book. Doesn't matter what you do as long as it's not what you were working on.

Do this and do it frequently. Get everything that could get your motivation down, out of your daily routine. Spice up everyday and try to find new things that make you smile.

This one was a short one, because I'm feeling not very passionate with what is happening these days. But hopefully I'll work it out :).

See ya!


J.