Skip to main content

Mario Making!



Hello everyone!

As the title suggests, I've been playing a lot of Mario Maker since it's release. And I have to say it's a masterful effort. It's the only example I can think of where they successfully paced a create-your-level-game. And I don't ONLY mean that 9-day thing where you end up unlocking more tools every 24 hours. 

But just to get this of the way, let me start with it. 

I think that way of scheduling your unlocks is fantastic for this type of game. Yeah, it's not the bread and butter of game unlock logic, but it still rewards the player for the time they invest in creating levels for the game. 

It also does not overwhelm them, and most people throw that as the main reason why it's great. But I think that the best thing this causes is the need to return later. Retention in a console game where the community is always growing and the levels are an infinite catalogue of Mario level nightmares and good intentions. 

But the best part of the pacing of the game is that it's flexible. How they let the players create their levels at their own tempo while controlling the moment to moment rhythm is almost perfect.
And I have to give a ton of credit to the sound effect design for that.
The sole fact that every time you place an object it plays one note of the Mario theme while reciting the name of the object is simply genius. 

And then there's all the effort they put in making every bit of the UI feel like a mini game. From how you need to shake things to change it's properties to the little dance all the icons make when you try to customise their position in the layout. Even the loading icons are so entertaining to watch! 

In the end though, I think this games is also successful because it's a Mario game.

And I don't mean it in the business kind of way. I mean that for a lot of people, the games of this franchise gave us a set of rules that were mostly the same in every game. 
And here you can bend all of those rulers. 
This creates an explosion of curiosity in the minds of everyone that once played a Mario title. 

The heritage of this little plumber is so big, they could make an entire game based on that.

And that's it for today. Yes, this was basically a love letter to this great game. But between game jams and the work this has been the best way to let go some steam for me. And what a way. 

For the next post I'll try to talk more about the recent (and coming!) game jams I've participated. 

Until then, take care!

Joan.