Skip to main content

The Unbreakeable

Hello everyone!

Recently I've been reading a lot about game design. Specially interviews with iconic developers. And one thing that all of them covered in every interview was what they described as "the Core" of their game.

Warren Spector, for example, defines it like the most basic experience of the game.
For a long time this element has been "the Unbreakable" for me. It was what was left after I couldn't break anything else out from the game. It was a little bit like sculpting in this sense.

After I took the master I began to use "Minimum Viable Product" in relation to that terminology. Mostly because it implied a major level of completion or polish. But for a few days I've been reusing this term because I felt that using it communicated the intention better with my coworkers.

I mean, the idea that something is bulletproof even in a very primitive state is easy to understand through common metaphors. And when I realised this I knew I had a new communication tool for the upcoming jams.

This way I could get the team to focus in what creates the primitive experience of a complete game. Which used to be a very important concern for me in the other jams.

I seems like such a small vocabulary change, but it really helped me get work done. So, it got me thinking about how to reach an "unbreakable" in the team communication. Specially when the team has been recently assembled or need to rethink their strategy.

I don't have anything about this, but I will keep looking into that.

And that's it for today. I'm planning to write smaller pieces but more often. Just to try new things.

See you everyone!