Skip to main content

Too many good intentions

Hi everyone!

Today I want to write about how I find myself trying to juggle all my project without losing my mind in the process.

Everything started when I wrote a design document for a game. It got shelved and since I wanted to make one more game besides the ones I was already making, I started another project.

So there was one time I was making 2 projects inside the company and two more outside. And I think that was good enough. Not comfortable, but manageable. 

Until.

That project that got shelved, rose from the dead and was handled to me as maybe the most important project I could participate this year. That was the moment I started worrying about my ability to handle the art and design of multiple little and enormous projects at the same time.

And the truth is I'm not. 

I'm blending things from one project to another. And I feared that was a terrible mistake, but I think maybe it isn't. It's proving to be an interesting experience and a source for creative design and prop creation.

I've also started to lose track of the progress, the updates and the meetings from the projects. And this may be the worst thing this has brought me. But it isn't a fatal blow to my will to transform these ideas into awesome games.

I just needed to catch my breath. That's why today I went back to my parents house and stayed there all day playing with my cat. I needed to figure out somethings and reschedule my daily routine. Because for each project there is a group of people that count on each others work. And I don't want to be the one hindering their efforts. 

To conclude. I think I was too optimistic or didn't think things through. I had too many good intentions. And what I learnt is that having those isn't the problem. Not fulfilling them is. 

And I'm not going to do that. If I want to be a great game developer I need to get this right.

That's all folks!

C Ya!

J.