Skip to main content

Journey, Crucible and Epiphany (I)



Okay.

I didn't have the time to remember to write here these weeks. It's been a crazy mix of radical colds, work, new side projects and a barrage of apartment hunting after works.

This is no excuse for almost 2 weeks without writing. But, the truth is that I have started this post a week ago, but I did not finish it.

In this post I wanted to write about what, I think, defines the three main stages of the artists self discovery. But in the end I decided to make three posts instead of 1. This way I'm able to describe a little bit better each stage.

I started thinking about this one a few years ago. I was still in Architecture School and a professor explained us, for the first time, the life of Le Corbusier. 

For the ones that read this name for the first time, he is considered to be one of the fathers of Modern Architecture trend (roughly from 1910 to 1960, at least the great ones).

This man lived his life as an apprentice until he decided it was time to travel and discover what the world was about with his own eyes. He wanted to investigate and learn from the classic cultures, so he decided to journey across the Mediterranean.

Before he arrived to Greece (by boat) he got sick and had really high fever. He managed to continue his trip and decided nothing was going to stand between him and the Acropolis. So he got there, but was so sick he started seeing things (that was how Corbusier described it!). It wasn't a vision. Those weren't ghosts. He started seeing "the true nature of light, proportion, volumes and how they were interconnected".

After that, he began studying in depth the Greek architecture and after a while he wrote the five rules of Modern Architecture. By that time he also designed some of the key projects of his career.

With this tale I mean that for an artist, one of the most important things is to discover. To feel the need to know more, to get to know more things and the connections that she/he can create with them.

For an artist's genius is as rich and engrossing as everything he has seen, smelt, heard, tasted, felt and lived. 

That's why the journey is so important.  It's the stage of world discovery. It's a learning phase, puts everything you know in perspective. It's something like a bullet speed train time machine.

For me, I think I've only had one of these journeys. And it also kind of merged with my crucible. But I'll focus just on the stage we're focusing right now. A few years ago (maybe four) I was having a bad time in my life so I decided it was time for me to move on, refresh and restart. By that time some friends of mine were planning a trip around eastern Europe by train. It was going to last for a month.

I did not think about it. I decided not to think about it. And I said yes. Still now, it's one of the best decisions I've made in my life. It was fantastic, full of adventures, stories we tell from time to time and lots of beautiful memories. There was trouble too, but that's the thing.

It's a journey. An adventure that tailored for you, that you have to tear apart and remake it from scratch. 

It's, not always, but most of the times, the first step towards personal change.

That's it for today! Hope you like it and I promise I'll finish this group of texts this week! So stay tuned ;)

See ya!

J.