Skip to main content

Journey, Crucible and Epiphany (III)

Hello everyone!

It's the end of the week and this means this text is the end of the three-part text where I try to explain the three phases of an artist experience. In my opinion, as always.

Last time I tried to explain what was the Crucible through what I think was mine. I also wrote about the Journey and it's importance. But today I want to talk about the key element: the Epiphany.

Despite using this name I'm not talking about something religious. I'll add the definition again:

"An epiphany (from the ancient Greek ἐπιφάνεια, epiphaneia, "manifestation, striking appearance") is an experience of sudden and striking realisation.

Generally the term is used to describe scientific breakthrough, religious or philosophical discoveries, but it can apply in any situation in which an enlightening realisation allows a problem or situation to be understood from a new and deeper perspective.

Epiphanies are studied by 
psychologists and other scholars, particularly those attempting to study the process of innovation."


This definition is awesome. It's everything I wanted to explain. The Epiphany is just that moment where everything clicks.

It's when you remember what you've experienced during your travels and everyone you've met. And you make a mental connection with what you had to go through your crucible to finally synthesise a thought.

This is the moment when everything comes together. 

For me I think I had a "one-Two punch" with my epiphany. It came in two parts. The first one was when I was working on my PFC. It was the month before the deadline. I had almost no summer, and before that I was working in the architecture studio as an intern. They basically made me do more hours than I should in a working environment I did not feel comfortable. But that's another story.

The thing is that. I was almost done with my PFC and I had no need to sign up for a master. I really wanted, I really NEEDED a rest. But after my experience with architecture I decided it was time for me to pursue what I really liked.
So I started to get information in the Videogames Master program and in the end I decided to sign up. For a very brief period of time, I was still with my PFC and the master classes.

The second time was when I decided to part ways with my first group in the master. It was then, that I saw the full image. I wanted to  make videogames, but I wanted more out of it. I wanted to be with the ones willing to become the best. With the ones that wanted to learn everyday something new. With the ones with ambition. And they weren't this kind of people.

And in some ways this left me with a heartache. Because I though I was in a course where everyone would love videogames as much as I did. But the truth is there were many people that just wanted something to do and had a lot of money to spend. At least that's what it seemed.

After this two-part epiphany I knew what I wanted to do and how far I wanted to go with it. It gave me a clear objective a lot of ground to work towards it.

And I think my objective now is to become one of the best. Not just to see how the world looks from there. But because after all these years of playing I realised I wanted to give something in return to the people making videogames. I wanted to be one of the best to make the kind of amazing games that made me fall in love with this medium. 

I want to make games to make people feel the same kind of experiences I felt and that I am grateful for. I want to make games to go beyond this and discover what I (and the videogames in general) am capable of.



Well, and this is it. The three parts are now complete. I hope I'm able to write more often and that you enjoy what I write.

See ya!

J.

PS: I was able to find some time to sketch an old archer lady!