Skip to main content

Journey, Crucible and Epiphany (II)

Another post? ALREADY? Hell yes. I need to make up for the last two weeks of silence. 

So, I'm going to try to define what the second stage of self discovery is, and means for me. For those that don't remember what the three stages are, you can check the title again. 

Today I'm going to write about the Crucible. 

I think the best way to describe this phase is by comparing it with how the blacksmiths work. There are several things they do to prepare the blade. They hit it, they treat it with different types of oil and they heat it. 

All these preparations they make, would be the journey. It's what gets you in contact with the world. It represents effort through an extended period of time and how you start to understand the complex nature of the world you're living in. 

It is everything that you discover about the "outside" that stimulates changes in the inside. 

The crucible would be...Well, the crucible is already one of the blacksmiths instruments. According to wikipedia a crucible is:

"A container that can withstand very high temperatures and is used for metal, glass, and pigment production as well as a number of modern laboratory processes. "

It's where melted metal is shaped, purified and alloyed. The crucible takes in one thing and changes it forever. A crucible for an artist is the contrasting piece to the journey. It's when the change comes from you and makes you view the world with a different perspective. 

From what I've experienced, read and heard from. Crucibles are events concentrated in short periods of time. Although, in my case it took longer than the journey. So I guess I'm not the best example of this. Also, the two of them were closely related in my life. But I think this is really common, since a crucible can happen even during the journey (or be considered the same). 

I was trying to write a clear description about what a crucible might look like when I realised I can only speak about mine. So here's what mine looked like. 

It was roughly 4 years ago. My grandma just died, I was ten minutes late when I arrived to the hospital. Just because I decided to stay for a few minutes listening to one of the most annoying professors I've had. That was devastating. My grandma lived in our house even before I was born, so I did not know a reality without her around. 

I think it was almost two months after that, my girlfriend fell in love with another guy but wasn't determined enough to break up with me, so I did. I was tired, sad, could sleep much and had lots of university work. Furthermore my parents were having a bad time too. My mother specially. 

Everything I once considered a pillar of my life, crumbled and left me helpless. 

They were really close to getting the divorce. That was the breaking point for me. In this 3 months I almost give up for good. But then something happened. 
I decided to put my problems on hold. To put myself on hold. To pause everything and continue almost by inertia. I was utterly tired and could not care for anything. But with this I eventually started to solve problems. It bought me time to embrace what happened, learn from it and move on. 

That's when I got it. Work

Work harder and smarter than anyone. Give every bit of yourself in everything you do. And enjoy it when you do it.  Yes, I got consumed by the university, and then the work. But I also realised that I had to solve my own problems, and more importantly, that when I was done I should help the others with theirs. And maybe not the other way around like I used to. 

This changed me. I started looking the world differently. It helped me believe in myself and what I could achieve if I put effort into it.

It shaped who I am right now. My interests, references and the way I think. 

People started noticing and I decided it was time to enjoy every bit of it. To dedicate my life to what I truly loved. To pursue my childhood dream and to stop caring about what my so called friends had to say. Because

a crucible is a container where you get melted, purified and alloyed with something new to become a better version of yourself. Or even the true version.

...

And this is it for today. I hope I can finish with this trio of writings this week! Because I think all this will come together with the last stage. 

Hope you enjoyed the text!

See ya!

J.